Thursday, June 05, 2008

The athlete














Well, Ky had tubes put in earlier this week. 5 ear infections in 5 months was enough for us, plus we figured hearing out of his left ear would be a great birthday present for him. It went pretty well over all. Ky was upset when we didn't feed him or give him anything to drink in the morning, however he didn't dwell on it too much. Our appointment was at 8:15--but Ky didn't have the surgery done until about 10:00. After checking us in and filling out paperwork, they took us back to a pre-op room where they took his vitals and we put him in a gown. We read stories for a while and then had a visit from the anesthesiologist. He was a very nice guy and gave us a mask for Ky to get used to and to play with. Then after that the nurse came to get him. Ky did not want to go.

After the nurse showed him how to open and close the door with a button--I reluctantly handed my little boy to her. You should have seen his face. That lower lip trembling will always be etched in my head (yeah--now I am crying). She took him away and said he did very good. She gave him some balls to play with and then they put the mask on. She said right before he "fell" asleep he stuck his pouty lip out once more.

It was very quick. After about 15 minutes the doc met with us and told us all was good and that a nurse would come and get us once he started waking up. We returned to the waiting room, and after another 10 minutes the nurse got us. I could hear my little boy crying down the hall. When I took him from the nurse, his head rolled like an infants. He was still waking up from the anesthetic. This was the hardest part. Ky was disoriented and had no idea what had happened. NOt to mention his body probably just felt funny. He cried and cried and I just held him. This is when I lost it. I cried with my little boy and the discomfort that he had to go through, not to mention the fear he probably felt.
It took a while to get Ky to calm down, but after about 15 minutes Rob started throwing this light up sticky ball the nurse had given us. That seemed to do the trick. We were able to get him to drink some juice and milk then as well as have him walk out of the surgery center on his own. What a rough day though. We took it pretty easy after that and he had a very long nap. He did vomit once shortly after we got home, but I guess that isn't too uncommon. For the remainder of the day we stayed inside and watched his Signing Time videos. But, as I said he pretty quickly returned to his good old self.
So I wanted to make sure to get some pics of Ky outside. And well the pics I have pretty much sum up what he likes to do. The boy is still obsessed with basketball. He has to play every day--and it is good I have a small indoor hoop for him. He likes to dunk and shoot--and when he shoots he often makes it. He also likes baseball and does a really good job hitting the ball when you pitch it to him. You would be amazed at his coordination for his age.
Let's see--He is just as piggy as ever. Lately he has been taking over an hour per meal to eat. I think he MUST be going through a growth spurt. He is also eating almost everything on his plate--which is weird since he was being so picky before. The pic above is from him eating black beans. And he LOVES black beans.
We went to the zoo again earlier this week. I asked Ky what animals he wanted to see and he responded "goats". So off to the goats we went. He loved feeding them and watching them. I have a feeling that goats will always be at the top of his list from now on when we go to the zoo.
The past weekend, Rob and I went on a getaway. We went to Lacrosse to a Bed and Breakfast. We figured it might be one of the last for a while. We had a splendid time. We stayed at the Lumber Baron Inn which is on Lake Onalaska and we stayed in the "Attic" room which was a suite with a jacuzzi tub and a sitting room that overlooked the lake. You can see the view from our room in one of the pics.
It was fun. Breakfast was the best. It was like a five course meal! When we came downstairs, their was coffee and tea waiting in the foyer, then they opened the doors to the dining room. This is when they took our cups (because they didn't match the place setting in the dining room--but of course!) and seated us. We were then given fresh beverages on the matching place setting that had matching flowers, napkin ring holders, place mats, etc...
Our first course served was sweet bread. After that came a fancied up juice. Then came a fruit plate, then a palate cleanser--sorbet of course!, then the main course --a meat and vegetable of some sort--then dessert, and do not forget the after breakfast mint! I could go into extravagant detail on the courses, but I have things I want to do. But in my mind I will always relive these two yummy and very filling breakfasts at the inn. The other people at the inn were very nice and we had great breakfast conversation. One man was a doctor from Damascus, another family was from Guatemala, and then we had two other more local couples. Conversation was very interesting with the different backgrounds.
On Saturday, Rob and I hikes some trails at Perrot State Park. That is where many of the pics are from. It was nice. At one point I walked over a very large Garter snake that Rob then pointed out to me. EWWW!!! That was very gross. That is the second time in my life I have almost stepped on a snake. Rob also later discovered a tick on himself, and so that really made us more aware of our surroundings. After our hike, we went on a very very local Brewery Tour. Rob toured and drank, I watched. Then it was my turn for enjoyment--ice cream! Yum. We went to a local place and I enjoyed the ice cream and we walked the river walk. At this point, I thought I had lost my phone, so we spent an hour retracing our steps--Rob was pretty sure I had never brought it, but never pushed his opinion--instead looked diligently with me. Turns out he was right. This pregnancy has really been bad on my memory. I don't remember anything at this point.
We then drove past a two story Burger King that Rob was really excited about. So we stopped and took a picture. (I think people thought we were nuts!) But, if you ever want to see a 2 story Burger King--Lacrosse has one.
We then went out to dinner at Eduardo's a local Italian restaurant with decent food but high prices. The night before we had eaten at a local Rib place in the train station. That was much better food for much better prices.
Sunday we planned to walk Riverfront Park and look at their gardens (pic of dragon arch above.) I have to say we were very disappointed when we were done within 20 minutes or so. I guess when you have Olbrich Botanical Gardens in Madison or you just visited San Diego's gardens, four tiny gardens the size of rooms are very minimal. Not to mention, practical nothing was labeled. We then stopped at a local coffee shop "Grounded for Time" or something like that and I had the best Gelato made in Minneapolis (Kel--next time we are there we need to stop at the Gelato place.) It was SOOOOO good! I would definitely do that again. We then hit the road for home.
Well that is all for now. The next blog entry will be for Kylan's 2nd Birthday! Can you believe it?!

No comments: