Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas for four!





























There are my two kids Christmas morning. They actually slept in a bit! I think we got up around 9. And the first thing on my agenda was to vacuum the family room--it was a mess--it really needed it. There were pine needles everywhere from that impostor tree! So Rob was very nice to vacuum for me & Ky helped.
Afterwards we let Ky open a few presents before breakfast. The neat thing about this Christmas is Ky still did not understand what was going on. We had been explaining to him this year that it was baby Jesus' birthday. So before we opened gifts, I explained to Ky that we open gifts as a way to remember the first and most important gift--Jesus. We also give gifts to others because Jesus gave himself to all of us. We figure that in the future Ky should remember at least some of the basics of Christmas and we will build on it from there.
So once again no Santa--however in the future we will teach him the story of St. Nick when he asks about Santa--and we will tell him that some people choose to pretend Santa is still alive--but the most important part is remembering that it is baby Jesus' birthday. BTW--if you ask him about Christmas he will tell you it is Baby Jesus' birthday. He was very excited when we told him the story and wanted to know if we would have cake and candles and sing. I told him we would sing, but we would probably have all sorts of cookies and candies to celebrate instead of cake.
Ky opened gifts from Aunt Liz & Uncle Adam first--he loved the train ornament---I thought I had some pics, but I guess I didn't. They also got him a monkey ornament which he is hanging on the tree in the pic above. Then he moved on to the dump truck. He was ecstatic. He loves big trucks--I could not get it out of the packaging fast enough--do you know how many twisty ties & how much tape stores use to package these toys...I spent so much time trying to undo the little knots--ARGH!
Anyway. After that it was off to breakfast. I made our Christmas tradition breakfast--baked french toast with berries. YUMMY! You can't get enough of it--that is why I only make it once a year. We also read the Christmas story then. We used Ky's "See with Me" Bible for the story--I think he was following along....
After that it was back to gifts. Ma & Pa Vander Heyden got Ky a remote control car--can you believe it!? He spent most of the rest of the morning chasing that car around...yes chasing...He may have had the controller in his hand and be controlling it--but honestly he didn't know what he was doing, so around and around the house he went with that car. I am pretty sure I got some of that on video tape. Very funny boy!
Rob and I got Ky two Thomas trains (Thomas & Gordon) and a Thomas shirt along with a Thomas learning set with workbooks and flashcards. He was in Thomas heaven. The cards got scattered everywhere after he opened that gift (see above pic).
Alaina got some neat gifts as well. Some very cute outfits--her Christmas ornament from U. Adam & A. Liz was a pacifier--which is very fitting--you can see her holding it in one of the pics. My favorite present for Alaina was the matching socks Liz got her and I. Yes they match--HOW COOL. They are ballet slipper socks...I don't have a picture of us with them on yet, but I am working on it. (We forgot to take a pic last time we were wearing them.)
After gifts--we then had to hurry and pack up the car. We were due at Grandpa's early afternoon and had to pack stuff for several days. We were staying at their house for 2 nights, so we could attend Rob's Grandma's burial (we had missed the funeral due to weather) and then for Christmas with Rob's mom. My goodness---we had never had to pack up two kids for an overnighter before--let alone 2 nights!
It took us forever to get everything together....By the time we were on the road we were running late--as were many other Christmas travelers--I have never seen such road rage before. Being late really wasn't a big deal to us, so I wasn't speeding or driving crazy or anything--but man! This one guy, waited to the last second to merge when his lane was ending--and instead of merging in where he was at, he decided to drive down the median past the guy behind me and then me--I had to slam on the brakes otherwise he was going to hit me--the median was becoming a cement barrier--it was bad--really bad....I still get the ebeegeebees thinking of that near miss...You know--some things just aren't worth it...
Anyway Christmas with the Schnake's was good. All the family was together and having a good time. Ky had a blast with Grandpa's trains. Cousin Dominic & Ky were running around together--too cute--and look at the pic I snapped of them where Ky has his arm around Dominic! Alaina was the sweetheart--smiling at people and then napping in their arms. I love the pic of Rick wearing Grandma Bucky's hat. We all had a great time--and to Ky's joy more presents were exchanged. By the end of the night, I think we were all pretty tired and ready for bed.
Yeah---four of us in one room. Hmmm...Ky slept on the floor next to Rob and I in the double bed and Alaina in the Pak n' play. To Ky's credit he had never slept on the floor before and he did very well, but Rob and I were up ALOT between the two kids waking up and crying. It was an exhausting night. When we got up the next morning Ky told Grandpa how daddy put him in bed with him (I had laid down on the floor with Alaina at one point) and then he started poking Daddy in the ear and then Daddy said "Go back to bed Kylan". Alright--so not very funny when I am writing it in a blog--but this is pretty much the story Ky told Grandpa and then he said "Go back to bed Kylan" in an angry daddy type voice. It was VERY funny & cute.
That afternoon we went to Grandma's burial and were able to meet up with Aunt Janice & Aunt Linda & Uncle Tom & Aunt Sue. We went back to some friends' house to socialize and chat with them a little more. This also gave them the chance to meet Alaina.

Ky had a great time with the Aunts & Uncle Tom. There was a train there (of course) and then A. Janice read some books with him and made some funnies with him. Uncle Tom & Ky were playing "Ouch--that's too hot to touch" with a lamp and A. Janice turned on all the music boxes (one which of course had a train) for Ky--and it was especially funny since it was driving A. Linda nuts :)
That evening we returned to the Schnake's put the kids to bed and watched "Bourne Identity" for the second time. Pops made us yummy ice cream drinks--he had a name for them--but I forget what it was. Then, we went to bed. Night two did go much better than night one--I think we only got up 10 times, however we also ended up oversleeping and then running late to Nana's (since we had to pack everything up to leave.)

Good thing Nana & G'ma Jan are so forgiving! We had a great relaxing day with them. And of course Ky had the BEST time--he loves spending time with Nana. We had a nice brunch and conversation. Ky was the center of attention of course. He also received some gifts from Nana & G'ma Jan and had fun with the new puzzle & magnet toys & books they got him. I think Ky's favorite part was having cookies and milk with Nana in the kitchen--the boy loves sweets---and there is no one better for him to eat them with!
So there you have it--three christmases for our family of four. Alaina appeared to enjoy herself and I know Kylan will be up for Christmas next year. Personally, I am glad it is over and we are back at home and into the normal routine of things. Nap times were getting pretty screwy and the hype was getting to be a bit much. My favorite Christmas present this year is the last picture with the pretty red bow on it. I look forward to many more Christmases with my new present.

No comments: