Friday, June 18, 2010

Out of the Spin Cycle by Jen Hatmaker

“Motherhood is like a pitcher with a hole in the bottom: A constant drain on our energy, patience, and tolerance.” (Hatmaker, pg. 36). Isn’t that the truth! And this past week (and my dealing with a cold) my hole has been EXTRA Large. Thank goodness I have a loving God, husband, and ME time to help keep my pitcher filled just enough!


Jen Hatmaker did a wonderful job in writing her devotional “Out of the Spin Cycle”. She related to the endless battles that mothers go through—not only with their children, but also with their friends, husbands, and themselves. Having all the knowledge of being a mother herself, Hatmaker kept her daily devotionals to a five minute read. She ends each devotional with one or two questions for the reader to answer as well as a goal for the day.

This book fit into my lifestyle so well. I was able to pick it up in those short free moments and read through a devotion. I was then able to continue on with my day feeling that I had not only invested in myself, but also in my relationship with God and my family. I loved the goal of the day. It gave me something to aim for each day, as well as affirmed that I was investing in my children.

One of my favorite devotions was entitled “Tequila Sunrise”. It was about a girl who interpreted a Bible verse based on her own life experience. Hatmaker shows mothers how to introduce their children to Jesus based on what they know. I had never really thought about it that way. And honestly, I often struggle explaining to my son who Jesus is. However, when you put Jesus into metaphors (i.e. Jesus is like an umbrella—he protects you from those uncontrollable rainstorms. He covers you and takes (or has taken) the pelting rain for you), he becomes more identifiable. It is also a way to show him how Jesus is involved in EVERY ASPECT of his life! What a neat idea!

I have to say I was most impressed to find out that not only was Jen Hatmaker a mother, but a pastor’s wife. It showed me that even pastor’s wives have the same battles that I do, and they struggle. (For some reason, I have this fantasy that if you are a pastor you just KNOW how to bring up your kids.) She had devotions that reached me from every level. I highly recommend this book to include in your devotional collection. Whether dealing with friends of high baby fashion or your own need to be seen as perfect, Hatmaker reveals to the reader what God wants of us.

No comments: